In United States, there are a lot of BBQ competitions available for all parties to join. For those who plan to join any competition for the first time, there are a lot of things that you need to pay attention to. These cooking competitions attract a lot of participants from many fields. Some of them are amateur while the others may be professionals. Thus, to make sure you can grab a championship, you need to prepare many things and ask the experience ones for some tips and tricks. In this article, we will try to give some suggestion before joining any barbeque competition.
The following list will explain some tips to ensure your success in BBQ competitions.
- Do some research beforehand: make sure to understand the rules of the competition you are going to join. You can join local barbecue association to discuss about the competition with the members. Online forums such as BBQ Centre, The Smoke Ring, and The BBQ Breathren are a good source of information. You can also read some books regarding barbecue competition.
- Practice your cooking: this is the essential part of your preparation. Practice each category one by one until you satisfied. Do not be in a rush, take your time to understand what is best for your cooking.
- Make it simple: do not try to use different combination of sauce, rub, or wood for every meat. Find one combination that woks for every meats. This will give consistency to the flavor you are trying to present in your cooking.
- Aim for the basics: make sure to perfects the basics, including presentation and garnish, flavor profile, timing, temperature control, meat preparation, and meat selection.
- Write detailed notes: many people fail at competitions because they forget the details of their cooking. Take a note to every change and adjustment you make during your practice so you will not forget them. Taking pictures is also important for documentations.
- Plan a cooking timeline: there will be a time limit during every cooking competitions, thus having a well-planned timeline is important to ensure your meat are cooked well.
The paragraph above already elaborate some of the tips to join BBQ competitions for the first time. Make sure to ask advices from expert and do not be full of yourself even though your family said your cooking is outstanding. Also, do not forget to have fun despite all the hard work!